People tend to have several superstitions about what they do, what they wear, how they behave, and who they play against – they believe certain aspects will determine how their luck fairs in their game of choice.
Online casinos aren't too different from land-based casinos but of course, there are always sceptics.
If you've wondered what kind of superstitions and beliefs gamblers have, keep reading to find out the most common beliefs.
Communal Gambling Superstitions
Not all superstitions are going to be relative to both in-person and online gambling, but many of them can work for both types.
The following is a list of some of the communal gambling superstitions throughout the decades:
• Don’t sit with crossed legs, as it will “X” or cross out good luck.
• Changing the positioning of your chair can change your luck from bad to good.
• Blow on the dice before you roll them.
• Rubbing dice on a red-head head’s will bring good luck.
• Sitting in a chair on top of a white handkerchief that is folded into a square can promote good luck.
• Steer clear from clear, glass, or polished poker tables, they may reveal what cards are in your hand.
• Keep dogs away from the gambling location, as they are considered bad luck.
• Wash hands during a run of bad luck to change the luck to good. Do not wash hands if a run of good luck is current, as it may turn it into bad luck.
• Allow the dealer to finish his or her deal before glancing at your cards.
• Never play a poker game before six on a Friday night.
• Rabbits' foot can bring good luck, always keep one within reach.
• Carrying a pair of dice around can bring good luck and keep the carrier from losing or running out of their money.
• It’s considered a bad omen to get angry or lose your temper.
• Lucky coins can bring even more luck if they are minted with the birth year of the carrier. If the coin has a hole in it, it’s considered especially lucky!
Cultural Gambling Superstitions
There are several superstitions that are based on certain cultures such as the Chinese who believe that you should not touch someone who is gambling, especially on the shoulder.
A few others include never carrying a book into any room where gambling is taking place.
In Chinese, the meaning of “Book” is similar to the Chinese word meaning “to lose.”
A few other Chinese superstitions can be found in other cultures as well, such as always entering the casino through the side, or back door, never the front, and pregnant women are lucky because they are considered to have an extra set of eyes.
Western superstitions are the most common, as many of them are used in locations all over the world.
A few of these superstitions include wearing something that is red, dressing to impress, and blowing on the dice before each roll.
It is said that a real badger’s tooth can also bring good luck to those who wear it in their left pants pocket.
One superstition that can be found in Western culture that is different from others is the crossing of legs.
Where some believe it is bad luck, Western gambling culture claims it to be good luck.
Making Your Own Luck
Those who like to dive deeper into gambling superstitions, rituals, and good luck charms will find that some things are not allowed within certain casinos.
Therefore, playing online is the best way to ensure that rituals are uninterrupted and that charms are allowed.
Swaying the game in your favour, or making your own luck, can be felt by performing or adhering to these aforementioned superstitions, or you can make your own luck by using an item that has previously brought you luck or creating a new ritual, such as eating the same meal you have previously before a big win.
Keep in mind though that despite the excitement of slots or roulette, all games are always based on randomness, nothing else, and sadly no charms can change that.
If you'd like to try online gambling, make sure you choose a licensed casino and enjoy gambling with your NZ dollars.
May luck be on your side!
Head of Content
Head of Content